Duynie's products are also referred to as 'co-products'. What exactly are co-products and what are their benefits?
What are co-products?
Most commonly, co-products have plant based origins. They originate from a wide variety of crops, including cereals, vegetables and fruits. When these crops are processed, some of the crop is used for food for human consumption, while other parts are used for nutritious animal feed. It means all the valuable nutrients from the crop are fully utilised!
The co-products of Duynie Feed contribute to both a sustainable and increased financial result for your business, combined with a positive contribution to circular agriculture.
Co-products contain high-quality nutrients at competitive values in comparison to other available feeds. Co-products enable farmers to realise a higher return over a longer period!
Apart from an attractive cost price, Duynie’s certified animal feed positively contributes to the performance of your livestock, may that be milk yield, milk quality, growth, health and more.
One major advantage of co-products is their palatability. Years of experience have taught us that this is an important reason why cattle and pig farmers opt for co-products. Animals enjoy co-products, which results in higher intake levels and therefore higher nutrient density in the diet. Including co-products in the diet can contribute towards:
- Increased milk yield
- Increased Daily Weight Gain (DLWG) and Feed Conversion (FC)
- Improved animal health and fertility
Contribution to circular agriculture
Duynie's unique range of co-products make a positive contribution to circular agriculture:
- Nutrients from plants are fully used for food products for human consumption on the one hand and for nutritious animal feed on the other. This prevents any unnecessary wastage.
- Co-products contribute to the maximum use of home grown forage because they fulfil the role of flavouring. The moist and liquid co-products act as 'cohesion' between the various elements of the ration, thereby preventing any selection during feeding.
- Storage losses of grass or maize silage can be minimised by using co-products for capping.
Following the advice from a co-product specialist company will enable maximum keeping quality and a hugely extended shelf life to the product.
Reduction of emissions
Feeding your animals co-products can contribute to reducing the carbon footprint per litre of milk or kilo of meat because co-products have a lower carbon footprint than 'nutritionally comparable animal feed'. Studies have been completed for a range of our products:
- pressed pulp for dairy cattle
- spent grain for dairy cattle
- potato slices for dairy cattle
- potato peel for dairy cattle and pigs
- steam peel potato for pigs
Available all year round
Co-products have a stable and sustainable nutrient density. The vast majority of co-products are consistently available and providing they are stored well their shelf life can be increased substantially.
The high-quality co-product supplier offers a transparent composition of your animal feed. It works closely together with the organisation that processes the crop and the processing procedure is set out in detail. Co-products generally have a more stable nutrient density and are of a highly regulated quality because the process is also aimed at the human population. Quality checks are held on a regular basis and the supplier is certified. If you select a co-product supplier of proven quality, you know what your animal is getting!
Duynie Feed is a specialist and market leader when it comes to co-products.